Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Linux Mint Debian Edition - 1st Impression

Image retrieved from http://linuxmint.com/


It's been long time since I tried Linux Mint for the 1st time and loved it. Only problem is that it was Ubuntu based.

Well, I love Ubuntu, but it's not 100%, and after my upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 without a full reinstall that didn't went well, it came down a few points in my consideration. I had one bad night, since i needed the pc fully operational next day (its a work PC).

So I tried everything else on market, but can't handle with anything else than Debian based OS.

Crunchbang was my 1st thought, but is still Ubuntu based and their Debian distro is still Alpha and, ..... well you can understand.

And now, from behind the smoke, comes Linux Mint, with a Debian based and rolling distro...

So without further delay, let's talk about Mint...

1 - Boot Time - Nothing new, fast as hell...
2 - Kernel - 2.6.32 - Same as Ubuntu 10.04
3 - Speed - same as 1
4 - Update Manager - ok, not very intrusive with all the updates and the wonderful Mint level for update, very nice for beginners
5 - My samba share appeared on Nautilus and network
6 - Software: F-spot, Gimp, Thunderbird, Pidgin!!!!!, VLC!!!!!!, MintNanny (it would come very useful for me soon), Giver (file share), root terminal, Openoffice..... Yes, they are better than Ubuntu at choosing packages
7 - Well, everything else, just like regular Mint, very very nice......

I didn't install, but I'm sure it will be easy as Linux usual is....



Ps: I changed the installed background, just because I love this image (available on right click - change desktop background...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for updating about Mint. Actually I am Fedora user and I was searching for some good interfaces when I firstly came across the blog. Now I have decided to using it and I am feeling quite excited inside me.


    _______________________________________________
    Software Development India | Corporate Stress Management Training

    ReplyDelete

 
Made in Portugal